Thursday, January 30, 2020

Review: THE ABSOLUTION by Yrsa Sigurdardottir


4 Stars

My first reading of this author was LAST RITUALS,  and immediately I was devoted. I've also was over the top with MY SOUL TO TAKE and I REMEMBER YOU.  This one? Not so much; although the first chapter,  read immediately before bedtime,  kept me awake all night. 

THE ABSOLUTION balances a lot of violence with deeply delineated characterization and a psychological-sociological approach to one of  today's pressing societal issues: Bullying--and specifically how Social Media acts as a flamethrower on the victims of Bullying--inescapable, horrific, boxing them in, sometimes with the consequence of  suicide.

Multiple characters here conceal multiple secrets, and the backstories and the current consequences are often horrific, dangerous--and even fatal.


[Note: The flamethrower and "boxing in" analogies are solely my interpretation, and are not paraphrasing of the author. ]

No comments:

Post a Comment